Saturday, April 20, 2013

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do.


 They say breaking up is hard to do. I never really believed that saying, because I was young and I never had the pleasure of that experience before. When I met John, and it was clear that he loved me just as much as I loved him, I thought that I was wearing protective padding from this feeling, the feeling of rock bottom. We were supposed to be together forever. But, one stupid action and my life was changed for the worst forever. Now, I was curled up in bed with a pint of Ben Jerry's in my hand, crying my eyes out. I was the cliché version of every chick going through a breakup. I would be mortified, but I was too upset to care. I wore nothing but sweatpants, and when I could eat, I would eat stuff that tasted good, but it seemed to settle on my stomach. I must have gained 5 pounds since that Friday two weeks ago.
Michael had left tons of messages. I didn't want to look at him, I didn't want him to look at me. I didn't want him to see me falling apart. I didn't want him to see this ghost of this girl whose in mourning of something that was. The only person that I would see was Chelsea, in addition to my classmates. I haven't gone home in weeks. My parents understood, but were concerned.
It was two weeks since that faithful day. I had went to bed at four p.m, because my homework was done, and all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball for the rest of my life.
I heard a knock on the door. Thinking that it was Chelsea, forgetting her key again, I slowly got up. The knocking didn't subside. I wanted to kill her. She always forgets her key.
“Coming!” I shouted, mumbling a bunch of dumb blonde insults under my breath.
Only, when I got to the door, it wasn't Chelsea. It was Michael. I should have known by the strong scent of tobacco on his skin.
“What are you doing here?” I asked. I wasn't angry about him being there, I actually wanted to see him. I was angry at myself because I looked like a fright. I didn't want to look like a fright in front of him.
“I thought you died or something. No calls, no text messages. You haven't been hanging out with us. Alexis, I'm worried about you.”
I looked at his face. He did in fact look worried.
“And why is that?” I wanted to push him away. I knew deep down that he didn't ruin what John and I had. I did that. However, it didn't stop me from trying to escape the blame from myself.
“You know why, Alexis”.
“Because you have feelings for me?”
He nodded solemnly.
“John and I broke up a few weeks ago”.
“I figured.”
“Yeah.”
“I'm sorry.”
I looked at him, trying to unveil his true relief not sorrow of the situation.
“No really I am”.
“And why are you sorry?”
“Because it hurts you.” He inched closer to me. I didn't move.
“You wanna know something that puzzles me?”
“Yes....?” he asked, confused.
“You talked for ages about how you feel about me. But, you never ever asked me how I felt about you.”
“Really?” he said. “So now, please tell me. How do you feel about me?”
“I like you too”, I said. Then, I kissed him. My hair wasn't brushed, and I wasn't wearing any makeup. I didn't care. I liked him, I wanted to be with him. I'm pretty sure that he wanted to be with me also.
He pulled away. “Alexis?”
“Yes”, I asked softly. I was still close enough to touch his lips still.
“I'm not your rebound guy, am I?”
I thought for a second. “I can show you a hell of a lot better than I could possibly tell you.” I then leaned forward and kissed him.
That was the day that we made it official.

No comments:

Post a Comment