Friday, March 15, 2013

It's all a Balancing Act.

They say that too much of anything can be a bad thing. Too much sugar can cause diabetes. Too much french fries can lead to heart disease. Too much alcohol can lead to bad karaoke sessions, when the tone deaf think that they can sing Celine Dion. Too much chocolate, although you are left in heaven can lead to zit city on your forehead.
One of the things that I've read in the Freshman 15 article in Seventeen is that college is a balancing act as well. Too much food at the dining hall can lead to you being a victim of the Freshman 15 curse.
Today was the first day of classes. The first day of school back in high school was the day when you can reunite with all of your friends, and talk about your attempts to get the hot lifeguard to notice you,and whether or not it worked. If you were in a relationship, then you told the stories of what you did with your boyfriend. You wore a crisp new pair of jeans, and carried a new backpack. In college, things were different. You just woke up and went to class, sometimes you just wake up and go. It's a whole different fishbowl then the halls of high school.
My alarm went off at seven. I could hear Chelsea groan. “It's too early,” she mumbled under the pillow.
“Maybe if someone wasn't spending all night in the frat house..”
“Don't give me that”, she mumbled. “You know if you didn't have John, then you would have been there with me. Come on, admit it, you're jealous”.
I threw a pillow at her. “I love John. I wouldn't do anything to change our relationship. Or ruin it for that matter.”
“Sure, that's what you think. But are you sure that's what you want to do? You're in college. You only college once.”
I rolled my eyes. “YOLO? Really?”
“Well, it's true.”
“I never thought something so true can be something so annoying”, I said.
“THE TRUTH HURTS BITCH!” she shouted as I headed towards the showers.

Two hours later, I found myself waiting outside a classroom. I had arrived early, because I thought it was expected. But, there was a class already in there, so I was sitting on the floor, waiting for John to text me back. He probably was asleep. College started a week before high school. Ironically, we get more time off, and longer vacations then they did. I wondered why that was.
I stared awkwardly at my phone for what seemed like eternity. No one texted me, other then my dad who wanted to wish me luck on my very first day of school. I wondered what was going through his head. He probably had flashbacks on his first day of kindergarten.
A girl with long blonde hair and large sunglasses sat next to me. Immediately, she whipped out her phone before I could even make eye contact.
I decided to take the initive to say hello. It's either that, or stare at the phone that wouldn't ring. “Hi, are you here for Math 101?” I asked, nervously.
She looked up. “Yeah, I guess”, she said, and then she went back to her texting. I wondered what was so important that she clearly couldn't say hello. I went back to staring at my phone.
Five minutes later, the class left the room. I stayed awkwardly in the hallway, because I didn't know what to do. Do I go in? Do I wait for the professor, and then go in? Or do I awkwardly sit in the hallway waiting for some sort of invitation to go in?
The snotty looking girl went in. Therefore, I decided to follow suit. And then we went in, sitting on two different ends of the classroom. I wondered if where you sat entailed the kind of student that you are. In high school, the nerds always sat in the front, and the popular kids always sat in the back texting their best friends and flipping their hair.
I sat in the safe middle area. A few minutes later, a woman who looked like she can wear the witch costume with ease entered. I wondered if she rode a broom instead of driving a car. She looked like Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter. She smiled, and slightly resembled a troll. She had mid length curly blond hair and a smile that resembled a frog's. She must have been the teacher. It was safe to assume since she looked older then us.
Ten minutes later, the classroom filled up with people, all of them looking older then me. They were all strangers, and I didn't know a single face. Another difference from high school. There was always a familiar face in the crowd. Here, I didn't know a single one. It was like I was in binary code, and they were the zeros and the ones.
“Good morning class!”
We groaned and mumbled good morning. This teacher must have had three cups of coffee before coming here. With lots of sugar.
“Class, that's not good enough. You guys need to be enthusiastic! Now say it again.”
“Good morning, Professor!” we said, although I'm sure that ninety percent of the class was leaking sarcasm through their voice.
“Good! Now let's get started..”

Three hours later, I was done with my first day of college. I had three classes today. Three classes of going through syllabuses, learning the rules and regulations of every teacher. They all acted like they were my only class, like I had no other life and story other then their classroom. I felt overwhelmed.
“What's going on with you?” Chelsea asked, as I entered our dorm room.
“Class, that's what.”
“That bad, huh?” she asked. Her classes didn't start for another hour or so. She had all afternoon classes. And none on Fridays. I was so jealous of her schedule.
“The worst. It seems like every teacher thinks that their class is the only thing going on in my life. It's like that for every class. I have so much homework that I can't see or breathe through the pile of homework that was in front of me. It feels like it's crushing me, Chels, and I don't know what to do. I won't have enough time for John, or a life for that matter.”
“Girl, relax”, Chelsea said.
“How can I relax? These are supposed to be the best years of my life, not the most stressful ones.”
“They will be”, Chelsea said.
“How?”
“It's all a balancing act. It's only your first day. It will get better”, she said.
“How do you know?” I asked.
“Because there are so many college graduates out there. Don't you think that they had their share of bad days as well as the good ones?”
“Fair point.”
“Good”, she said. “Tomorrow will be so much better. We have a class together, so at least you know someone. Now if you excuse me, I have to go to my first class. I want to get a new seat-next to a hot boy!” She grabbed her Chanel tote, ebony black with the snow white “C” on it.
I laughed, and plopped down at my bed. Wherever the hot boys were, so was Chelsea. She was a natural born flirt, and usually that resulted in her favor. Traffic tickets? Never had to worry about that. She had the sheriff wrapped around her little finger. I wondered if that was part of being blonde-having the confidence to flirt with anyone that crossed in her path. I wondered if they sold it in a bottle.
I looked at the dresser. They did sell that in a bottle. Chanel No. 5

The next day began another set of classes. The only plus side to that was that I had a class with Chelsea. On our way there, there was this kid. He was kind of nerdy looking, with giant hipster glasses. He was wearing a dark navy polo shirt, the kind of navy that looks almost like it's black. He was listening to an iPhone and had giant beats by doctor dre.
I looked over to see what he was listening to. Dream On by Aerosmith. (Which is my favorite band of all time.)
Suddenly, I realized that this wasn't going to be not too bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment