Thursday, March 7, 2013

A New Slate


The high school concert band was playing Pomp and Circumstance a beat that we were marching to as we stepped onto the football field. The weather was bright and sunny, the blank canvas to a brand new day. Today was the last day most of us would see each other. The last day that we would see the bitchy popular girls who thought they owned the frickin’ school, the last time we would see the theater kids before they got famous, and the last time we would see the jocks get away with murder. Today is the day when we would scatter, some would stay close to home, others would be going to further heights. We would call this place our hometown, the place where our roots were planted.
The ceremony lasted about an hour. Richard Bush, the nerdy valedictorian spoke in terms that we didn’t understand. The principal told us weird antidotes, in addition to giving us little stones of wisdom. We got our diplomas, then tossed our hats, as they shot into the air like sprinkles on a cupcake. And then, it was over. We graduated high school.
“Alexis!” a deep masculine voice called, running towards me. The tall dark figure was my boyfriend John. He held grape purple flowers in one arm, and his other arm was open wide for me to fit into.
“Hey baby”, I said, kissing his smooth lips.
“Hey Miss High School graduate, these are for you”, he said handing them to me. “Congratulations”.
I kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you”, I said.
He held me. “I love you”, he said kissing me again.
I smiled. “I love you too”.
I was then greeted by my family. My mother's pump cheeks were tear-stained, my dad held the jet black Nikon camera. We posed in a few pictures, in every combination humanly possible.
“ALLLLLEEEEEXXXIIIISSSS!” I heard my name in a high pitched scream that was none other then Chelsea, my best friend. “We did it, bitch!”
A tall and thin blonde figure raced across the field. She had taken the motorboard off her head, and held it in her left hand. You can see the simple black dress that was underneath the unflattering bright red gown that the girls had to wear. Her long blond hair was long and straight and flowed down to her mid-ab area.
“Hey Chelsea”, I said, laughing, and gave her a hug.
“We FINALLY graduated!” she squealed, bouncing up and down.
“Yes”, I said. “Next stop USC!”
“Yes, roomie!”
Chelsea and I were going to go to USC together in the fall. We had decided to be roommates, because since we both were going to the same school why not room with someone you knew rather then a perfect stranger. Besides, what's better then rooming with your best friend?
We posed for a picture, one that would go next all of the ones that we've taken at prom, our eighth grade promotion, and our first day of kindergarten.
“Now Chelsea, keep an eye on my girl”, John said matter of factly as he put his arm around my waist.
She laughed. “I make no promises.” She turned to me. “College is going to be crazy, girl!”
I grinned. “You know it”.
“Not too crazy”, my dad said, giving me a stern look. “Ready to go, Alexis? We have reservations in a half of an hour”.
I nodded yes. We began to walk out. I took one last look at the school. I remembered when I thought that it was so big. I was once intimidated by this building. Now it looked so small. I had conquered the tribulations of high school, and I was ready to move on to the University of Southern California with Chelsea by my side.
Yes. My slate was wiped clean today, ready to be written with in new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment